Other things you need:
- sandwich bread will do if you don't have English muffins
- sliced grilled chicken or wafer-thin smoked ham
- garlic powder
- parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- 1 whole egg
- orange zest
1. Prepare a pan with about an inch of water. Bring it up to a simmer.
2. Put the egg yolks (no egg whites) in a stainless steel mixing bowl (glass bowl works, too) along with the tablespoon of vinegar.
3. Put the mixing bowl on top of the pan with simmering water and start whisking. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Then slowly stream margarine into the egg yolk mixture once you see that it doubles in size and give it a really nice mix. Whisk constantly while pouring the margarine so the egg yolks take in the margarine and won't split. You don't want it to look like a scrambled egg.
5. When you think it's thick and creamy enough, you can already add in the lemon juice and honey. Then whisk again.
6. Set aside. But if you want to keep it warm, you can just let it sit over the warm water bath.
TIP: Add 1/8 cup of hot water if the sauce gets a bit thick.
Now, let's poach the egg:
1. Rub a little bit of olive oil on a cling film.
2. Place the cling film in a small bowl then put the egg, sprinkle on the garlic powder and add parmesan cheese.
3. Then pull up the sides of the cling film, squeeze the air out and tie it in a knot. You lock in the egg inside the cling film.
4. Put the egg into the simmering water. When it has formed like a mozzarella balls, then it's ready!
Good thing about wrapping the egg in a cling film is that you don't have to worry about the puddles of water and pieces of paper towel getting stuck to your eggs because of drying it off.
As for the spinach:
Put the spinach in the pan, add in olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic. Cook it for 30 seconds. And you can already put it on top of the egg muffin.
Lay the spinach and the sliced grilled chicken on top of the toasted bread, followed by the poached egg. Spoon hollandaise sauce over the eggs. Garnish with orange zest.
And another option is to use Guacamole, instead of ham or chicken strips. This is good for those who doesn’t like meat. Okay, I actually made the hollandaise sauce a bit salty so this will help to balance out the saltiness.
P.S. I can share the guacamole recipe some other time. 🙂
And we're done! 😀 Let me know if you manage to do it.